Survivors of sexual harassment or sexual violence have multiple options for either reporting or obtaining confidential assistance. Survivors can choose any combination of the options below or none of the options. The victim chooses how to proceed except in rare cases when the University has evidence that the alleged perpetrator may be a threat to the community.

Option 1: Complete confidentiality

Victims who want complete confidentiality can discuss their situation with any of the following:

  • A counselor at the Counselor Center
  • A licensed medical professional such as a doctor or nurse practitioner at the Student Health Services
  • A member of the clergy when acting in his pastoral capacity. For example, a priest who is a professor would not be acting in his pastoral capacity if he is advising you as your professor.
  • An off-campus licensed rape counselor such as at the D.C. Rape Crisis Center.

Option 2: Report to the Metropolitan Police Department

Victims of a crime can report to the Metropolitan Police Department by calling 911. A detective will
gather evidence and forward your case to the U.S. or district attorney, who will decide whether to prosecute.

Option 3: Report to the University

A victim can report to the University by contacting DPS, the Dean of Students, or the Title IX Coordinator. A victim can also tell a responsible employee, who is required to report to the University. Reporting does not obligate the victim to file an official complaint. The victim may report simply to request support services such as academic accommodations, a no-contact order, or periodic check-ins from the Deputy Title IX Coordinators in the Dean of Students office.